can't access tty; job control turned off

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 01:05:19 UTC 2007

I'm trying to upgrade my Toshiba Portege 3500 from Dapper to Edgy. I
booted the live CD (which I know works because I used it to install
Edgy on my desktop), chose boot/install, and the splash comes up and
it looks like it's going to start, then it drops to the shell and
gives the error: can't access tty; job control turned off.

I tried rebooting and choosing different graphics mode, but I get the
same error. I've googled and found lots of people with the same issue
but not solution. I'm hoping to get a hit here.

Thanks,

Todd