Deleting from .ssh/known_hosts

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Fri Jan 26 15:53:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 09:35:12AM -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I need to delete the fingerprint for the old host. As the host names aren't
> in clear text, I have no idea how to go about this. I'm sure it's easy, but
> I've looked in the man page, and it isn't obviously documented.

Well, when you ssh to that host, you get an error saying
that the host key has changed. Then it says something like
'~/.ssh/known_hosts:N', where 'N' is the line number
containing the old host key. So use your favorite text
editor, go to line N, and delete it.

Or use the (more elegant) approach that another writer
suggested.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org