shared folder

Clive Menzies clive at clivemenzies.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 11:47:41 UTC 2007

On (25/01/07 18:44), musicman wrote:
> I wanted to make a "shared" folder that all logins on my LAN could see
> over samba (for macs, linux and XP) in which I can put our
> music/movies....
>
> So I have a number of questions:
>
> 1. where? I was thinking either /home (/home/data) or /usr/local/share
> (/usr/local/share/data)but I also toyed with the idea of creating a
> /data folder at the root level.

Usually I use the /home directory on the sharing machine and set up a
shared directory on that.

I set up a mount point /smb for all samba shares on the linux client
machines

> 2. What perms? I tried creating the /data at root (since deleted) with
> owner root and group axxs2all (which all users belong to), but I
> couldn't cd into it??? I had also chmod'd the folder as drw_rw_rw_ but
> that didn't help.

I put up some notes on setting up a samba file server and there's
section on permissions and ownership:

http://clivemenzies.co.uk/help/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=33&Itemid=58

> I have plenty of room on my partition, but no "spare" partition as such.

as long as you have sufficient room on /home, this shouldn't be a
problem

Regards

Clive

--