dual boot - xp behaves strange

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jan 21 15:34:16 UTC 2007

Clive Menzies wrote:

> On (20/01/07 12:04), Rares Vernica wrote:
>> I ran "find /boot/grub/stage1" in grub console and the result was
>> (hd0,0). I think this means that grub is installed on the first
>> partition. The first partition is the Ubuntu partition.
>>
>> Now, if I install grub on MBR, will I end up having 2 grubs?
>>
>> Btw, just to clarify, I can boot both operating systems (Windows and
>> Ubuntu). The problem is that when I boot Windows, it disables to boot
>> flag from the Ubuntu partition. So, in order to be able to boot Ubuntu
>> again, I use "diskpart" in Windows and set back the boot flag on the
>> Ubuntu partition.

I still don't understand what you're doing, but you NEVER need a boot flag
on the ubuntu partition.  Please show us your grub configuration.

>> I would prefer a solution where I don't have to install any of the
>> systems.
>
> This is probably something you don't want to hear but it is always
> advisable to install Windows on the first partition.  It doesn't seem to
> like being relegated to subsequent partitions.
>
> There are probably work arounds but I'm not familiar with them :(

There's a way (iirc) to set up the Grub boot options for the Windows entry
to hide the first partition, so that Windows really thinks it's on the
first partition.  Then the other menu entries would all need to unhide the
first partition.
--
derek