dual boot - xp behaves strange

Clive Menzies clive at clivemenzies.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 09:22:41 UTC 2007

On (18/01/07 17:16), Rares Vernica wrote:
> How can I repair the part that Grub needs and Windows overwrote?

There are probably a number of ways to do this and your need to know
which partition holds / and /boot (often they are one and the same).
Booting from the Ubuntu CD should allow your to mount the partitions and
verify where they are.

The way I do it is boot with D(ebian) F(rom) S(cratch)
http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/
and at the grub menu press 'c' to give you a grub prompt. at the prompt
type the following and check the responses; if there are errors you need
to work out what information you've entered incorrectly:

> root (hd0,x)  # where 0 is first disk and x is the partition number
 		# minus 1 (eg if boot is on hda3, you type hd0,2)

> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hday 	# where y = / partition

> initrd /initrd.img

> boot

Once booted into your system run:

$ sudo grub-install /dev/hda

$ sudo update-grub

You should then have a dual boot system recovered.

YMMV

Regards

Clive

--