No Network

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 08:18:54 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, Darren <linuxn00b at justcommodores.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> This afternoon I had to turn off my Ubuntu 6.10 Server, all went well
> and normal but since booting the machine backup I am unable to see
> anything on my network and I am unable to connect to any of the services
> (ssh, samba, squid or apache) from any of the other machines on the network.
>
> Networking appears to have started ok, I am able to ping my box's own IP
> but from the other machines (windows) I get 'Request Timed Out' and
> pinging out of the network from the linux box comes back as 'Destination
> Host Unreachable'.
>
> I am using static IP's setup as the following in my interfaces file
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>        address 172.17.12.1
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        network 172.17.12.0
>        broadcast 172.17.12.255
>        gateway 172.17.12.254
>        dns-nameservers 203.2.124.164
>
> This machine connects to a switch and off to a router which does it's
> own pppoe connection so in effect this box sits behind a router, all of
> the other machines on the network are fine.
>
> The only clue that I possibly have is it appears to be transmitting data
> but not receiving anything at all.
Maybe a silly question, but are you sure your cable is in good
condition? (does de leds on the switch and on the NIC are ON?)

> I have just removed iptables to no avail as well.
>
> Should you have any idea's that would be great, at this stage
> screenshots are a touch difficult.

If you have another PC on the network you can try starting ethereal on
that PC and ping to it, that way you will find out if your PC is
transmitting or not.

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."