Ubuntu on a Compaq Proliant DL360

James Gray james.gray at dot.com.au
Fri Jan 19 00:08:47 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 00:58, Jan Welker wrote:
> I'm owner of a old but nice DL360. I could install Suse and Radhat on it
> but I would like to run Ubuntu. Ubuntu doesn't see the SCSI raid. The raid
> controller is a SmartArray 5i. The Disk is /dev/ida/c0d0.
>
> Any ideas?
> Cheers, Jan

For the benefit of the other respondants, the Compaq SmartArray 5i controller
is a REAL hardware RAID 0/1/5 controller that is built onto the motherboard
of most Compaq servers that were shipped about 4-5 years ago.  In fact they
are still very popular and in my experience quite a nice piece of kit.  In
other words, you DONT need any crazy "mdadm" or "lvm" madness etc; the
controller handles the arrays and presents it to them operating system as
single drives.

Jan, you need to insert the "cciss" kernel module.  This comes by default with
any recent version of Ubuntu (read: I only have Dapper and Edgy to check, but
it's on both...probably earlier versions too).

sudo modprobe cciss

...should do the trick - check /dev and you should see your array and be able
to mount it (eg, sudo mount /dev/ida/c0d0 /mnt/array).  The big thing is
making all the magic happen when it boots.  If you a single array that has
all your storage (ie, your root "/" partition along with everything else)
then you'll need to create a new initial ram disk (man mkinitrd) so the root
volume can be found.  If you have another boot drive and this array on the 5i
is just extra storage, then you can simply append the "cciss" module to
the /etc/modules file on a line by itself.  Voila.

HTH,

James
--
Se quem trabalha no mar é marujo, por que quem trabalha no ar não é araú
jo?