What's happened to the, "System," menu in Feisty?

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 21:04:23 UTC 2007

Janne Jokitalo <janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net>  said:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > It appears to have been totally raped.  There is no longer anything
> > there except Help, About Ubuntu and About Gnome.
>
> I'm not inside Feisty right now, but in my install there is Gnome
> control centre.

Yes, it needed the X server restarted in order for that to show up.
Now that I've done so, there it is!

> > If that's not bad
> > enough there is no longer any menu entry for Synaptic anywhere.
>
> I suppose it's inside the control centre.

Yep.

> > OK, except for in the, "Debian," menu item which has all as usual.
>
> That's funny, cause I don't recall seeing a Debian menu item at all.
> Could it be that it still locates at Applications menu?

It isn't there by default but is installable.  I needed it because some
things just don't seem to show up in the GNOME menu.

> > Was this an intentional part of dumbing Ubuntu down for the masses?
>
> No comment, as I have not been a part of this in least bit. For the
> record, I thought it's a bit uncomfortable, but I hardly ever use any
> part of them in the first place. Just tweak my usual keyboard
> shortcuts, and I can forget about the menus. :)

Ah, well, I'm a menu-driven fool.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Press 'START' to stop