enabled WPA wireless security and broke ethernet configuration

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jan 15 20:18:30 UTC 2007

Tony K. wrote:

> http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu-linux.html
>
> Previous to performing the updates, I beleive my ethernet was on eth0
> and my original 802.11b connection was on eth1.  After following the
> instruction above, the wireless connection now uses eth0 and I have no
> ethernet.  How can I reconfigure to also have ethernet as an option?
> Must I now configure eth1 for ethernet?

With your wireless connection up type 'ifconfig' (no quotes) in a
terminal window, The output should sort out which interface is which,
as well as give people more information about your specific hardware in
case you're running something that's known to be cantankerous.

> After:

[...]
> #iface eth1 inet dhcp
> #wireless-essid Affenberg
> #wireless-key s:
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

This could be your problem right here. Network manager wants to, oddly
enough, manage your network. :) You have your wired network card still
configured "manually". The two methods may not get along.

Comment the above line out also, and restart your machine. Network
Manager should automagically switch you between your wireless and wired
networks when you plug in the cat5, then back when you unplug.

If you don't need a static IP set up, NM is da bomb. :)

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.