Rhythmbox and podcasts

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Mon Jan 15 09:59:07 UTC 2007

Andy wrote:

> Lets check a few obvious things first (just to be sure)
> the feed you supplied does not appear to add new episodes every day.
> No episodes are listed for today or yesterday, but there are episodes
> for every weekday (for 5 days).

> If you a worried because it didn't show a new episode today but you
> have one from Friday then its just that there are no new episodes for
> Rythmbox to get.

   Yeah, that's the concern.  I keep it, set it to auto-update, manually
tell it to update, it never gets updated.  A week later I need to
remember to go get it manually, and that takes the "Podcast" out of
"Podcasting".  :(

> Next you need to be sure Rythmbox is actually checking for them.
> edit -> preferences -> podcasts.
> There should be a box labeled 'check for new podcasts', set that to
> something other the manually (I recommend the minimum).
> Rythmbox may need to be open to actually check (not sure). Leave it
> open for at least as long as you selected.

    It was set for every hour, in case it helps, I've set it for every
day. We'll see.  I've been watching the results of the test for several
hours now, and it hasn't changed, other than an a "PubUpdate" field.

> You can also try forcing it to update, right click on podcasts and
> chose update all feeds.

    This hasn't worked in the past, but I'll keep trying in the attempt
to figure out what's going on.  The test is still running, too.

> It may be having problems with the URLs as they have a ? in them, I
> have noticed rythmbox have problems with some feed URLs because of
> that but it may not apply to actual items.

    That's the kind of thing I'm curious about- things like this are
where I see a problem happening.

> Sorry if you have already checked these things, but its best to make
> sure everyone's on the same page so to speak.

   No, hey- this is helpful, the reason I finally bring it up.  I'm new
to this stuff.  It's appreciated!

- --
 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller