anacron and cron and laptop usage

Bill Marcum marcumbill at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 15 02:55:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:50:05 +0000 (UTC), Georg Sauthoff
  <g_sauthoff at web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using (K)ubuntu 6.10 and I have a question about the crond (package
> cron) and the anacron setup.
>
> I noticed, that anacron gets executed every day at 7.30h by crond (and
> at every system start), to check if daily/weekly/etc jobs have to run. I
> don't understand this, because I thought the point about anacron is,
> that at a laptop system (or a pc isn't up all the time) the daily/etc
> jobs gets a chance to run.
>
> But I allmost never have my laptop running at 7.30h (am) - and I am not
> rebooting it every day neither (just suspending it). Thus the daily/etc
> jobs aren't run very often with this default settings for this computer
> setup.

You can change 7.30 to whatever time is convenient for you. You might
even set the BIOS to wake up at that time. It shouldn't hurt to run
anacron more than once per day.  There is probably some simple way to
make anacron run on resume, perhaps by a script in /etc/acpi/resume.d.
Note that the cron.daily tasks tend to take a lot of cpu time.

--
signal(i, SIG_DFL); /* crunch, crunch, crunch */
		-- Larry Wall in doarg.c from the perl source code