mp3 utilities

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 14 19:26:31 UTC 2007

Hi

On 14/01/07, Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com> wrote:
> I'm going to need to transfer some tracks from my "Music For Magicians" CD to
> an MP3 player. I really haven't worked with hardware MP3 players, so assume
> that my knowledge on this is a little less than rudimentary.
>
> What tools am I going to need to do this in Linux?  I'm assuming the player
> will come with software for Windows, but booting Windows is something I don't
> like doing.

If the CD is an audio CD then use 'Sound Juicer CD Extractor' or
'Rythmbox' (for RythmBox select 'Import Audio CD' from Music menu to
get the content to your PC.

You will probably need to install LAME to get MP3 encoding, see:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping#head-f109ee313aa77bf2997e6499584438e9f7691d58>
(WARNING: May be illegal in countries that enforce Software Patents,
IANAL (I am not a lawyer) of course)

If its a data CD with MP3 files then the disc should be opened in
Nautilus when you insert it, copy the files as you would any other
files.

Now the next bit depends on your MP3 Player.
If you have an MP3 player that presents itself as a USB disk to Linux
(most do I think) then you don't need special software, the Windows
software was probably a CD ripping program anyway.

Just insert the MP3 player and GNOME should put an icon on your
desktop for it, click it and copy files on to the MP3 players folders.
Make sure you click the MP3 player icon and chose Eject or it won't
write the files!!!

> Secondly, I'd like to add some voice-over to a few of the tracks that I
> transfer. What tools will I need for this?
Never done this personally.
I have heard audacity is good for audio editing.
That might be able to do what you want.

What make/model of MP3 player do you have?
(I use a Samsung, works fine in Linux it even plays ogg files except
ones encoded at really low quality).

_ Andy

--
Did you think it should be legal to rip a CD to your PC or MP3 player?
Change the law, sign the petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/privatecopy/