Giving Apache a life-sentence, or: Putting Apache into a complete chroot jail

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Fri Jan 12 15:16:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm just curious to know if someone has a bit of experience with this:

I want to put an apache2 web server serving PHP, FastCGI and
mod_perl/Mason web pages into a complete chroot jail, i.e. no small
chroot via mod_chroot or mod_security.

I've found and read an awful lot of HOWTOs tutorials and the like,
however, most start with compiling the beast from scratch which does not
sound right for an Ubuntu system ;).

Therefore my questions:

(1) Are there some tools which might help? I've seen makejail, jailer,
jailtool and others, but it's hard to tell which one are good ones.

(2) Any known show stoppers?

Cheers

Carsten