Wireless network configuration

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jan 12 06:16:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:05:30 +0700 Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:
>On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 23:55 -0600, James Englert wrote:
>
>> is I am completely unable to get my computer to connect to the
>> wireless connection when the key is set. I have tried numerous options
>> and programs yet am unable to get it to work.  The network key is a
>> 64bit 10 digit hex key.  The key is 0123456789.  My network setup is
>> (in /etc/network/interfaces)
>
>Why fight it with all those config file / command line mystical
>incantations, install network-manager-gnome, let go, and let it take
>care of things.  (This installs as an applet in any toolbar)
>
>Make sure to specify WEP 64 bit Hex as the key type when connecting to
>the network.
>
>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>> wireless-channel 8
>> wireless-mode managed
>> wireless-essid dlink
>> wireless-key 0123456789
>> allow-hotplug wlan0
>> auto wlan0
>
>Don't even know what any of that means..  For sure you don't need it.
>
>> Can anyone see anything wrong with that configuration because I sure
>> can't? Does anyone know of any tools help set-up wireless networks. I
>> have tried network-admin and NetworkManager and was unsuccessful with
>> both.
>
>There's a bunch.. I think the current one that I'm talking about is
>installed as network-manager-gnome, version 0.6.3, but in the About box
>it actually calls itself NetworkManager Applet.
>
>Also of course re-check the setup on your WiFi router, and that the
>correct type of encryption is specified. (WEP)

FWIW, while WEP is sigificantly better than no encryption, it should not be
considered cryptographically secure.  WPS-PSK is a much better bet.  It is
actually simpler to set up than WEP IME.

I use Kubuntu, so the front end I use is Knetworkmanager.  I found WPA work
out of the box, but I had to use Wiresslanmanager for WEP (before I
upgraded my relative's network over the holidays).

Scott K