Wireless network configuration

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Fri Jan 12 06:05:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 23:55 -0600, James Englert wrote:

> is I am completely unable to get my computer to connect to the
> wireless connection when the key is set. I have tried numerous options
> and programs yet am unable to get it to work.  The network key is a
> 64bit 10 digit hex key.  The key is 0123456789.  My network setup is
> (in /etc/network/interfaces)

Why fight it with all those config file / command line mystical
incantations, install network-manager-gnome, let go, and let it take
care of things.  (This installs as an applet in any toolbar)

Make sure to specify WEP 64 bit Hex as the key type when connecting to
the network.

> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wireless-channel 8
> wireless-mode managed
> wireless-essid dlink
> wireless-key 0123456789
> allow-hotplug wlan0
> auto wlan0

Don't even know what any of that means..  For sure you don't need it.

> Can anyone see anything wrong with that configuration because I sure
> can't? Does anyone know of any tools help set-up wireless networks. I
> have tried network-admin and NetworkManager and was unsuccessful with
> both.

There's a bunch.. I think the current one that I'm talking about is
installed as network-manager-gnome, version 0.6.3, but in the About box
it actually calls itself NetworkManager Applet.

Also of course re-check the setup on your WiFi router, and that the
correct type of encryption is specified. (WEP)

Cheers,
Chanchao