live cd

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jan 11 18:50:22 UTC 2007

Denis Witt wrote:

> Derek Broughton schrieb:
>
>> but I still like having a live CD available.  Not to mention that, if
>> Ubuntu really can't configure his machine, it would be a waste of time to
>> build the alternate CD just to find it doesn't work either :-(
>
> This would be the first machine i heard of that is not capable to boot
> Ubuntu. ;)

It's unusual, but not unheard of.  Older hardware seems more problematic
than newish hardware (really bleeding edge stuff is always going to be a
problem for any linux distro - because the OSS developers can't develop
until they get their hands on the hardware).

> For example everybody told me that it might be hard to get edgy running
> on my IBM Z61m. But it worked out of the box supporting nearly 100% of
> my hardware. The only trick is to disable some BIOS settings, Ubuntu is
> capable of supporting those disabled features even if they not enabled
> in BIOS.
>
> So meet your new friend, the BIOS. ;)

The BIOS is not your friend ;-)  The BIOS settings panel is, though!  It
should really be spelled BIAS - as in "Windows bias".
--
derek