FAT32 partision > 32GB

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 15:14:48 UTC 2007

On 25/12/06, Constantine Evans <constantine at evanslabs.org> wrote:
> Ben Edwards wrote:
> > Thanks, I think that is it.
> >
> > Also what are the drawbacks of fat32 apart from performance.  Am I
> > correct there are issues with long filenames (seem to remember
> > something about this).
> >
> > Ben
>
> There are a variety of major drawbacks to using fat32. From Wikipedia's
> "Comparison of filesystems":

Thanks a lot for this.

> There is an excellent driver for ext2 in Windows which also works with
> ext3 at www.fs-driver.org, and I have used it extensively with
> reasonable results (it has a tendency to cause fsck to be run on ext3
> partitions occasionally[1]).
>
> If you really must use a filesystem supported by a default Windows
> installation without the ext2 driver, then use NTFS. It has journaling,
> large file support, and reasonable, if experimental, support in Linux
> with ntfs-3g.

I was looking for something that could be read by Mac OS X, Windows
and Linux.  Although there douse seem to be fairly good support for
ext3 on windows there does not seem to be for Mac OS X.   Not sure if
I want to trust all my Multimedia data to experimental drivers (even
though they are still probebly more stable than Vista;) ).

Ben