Vote for new Ubuntu Feature---Let's try it again

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 9 22:13:29 UTC 2007

Wulfy wrote:

> Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> > Wulfy wrote:

> >> How is asking for a password which must be correct and the user
> >> with sudoer having rights to do the operation in question (or the
> >> authorisation fails) granting "free and clear access to
> >> everything" or "run[ning] your system in a horribly insecure way
> >> by logging in... as root"?
> >>

> > How are the original poster's problems and solutions *not* readable
> > as "I don't want to figure it out, I want to do it NOW!"?
> >
> > Fine... there's a really easy solution to that dilemma... :)
> >

> The choices you seem to be offering are "do it MY way or install
> Windows"...  some choice.

Odd, I thought I not only suggested a third, correct alternative, I
explained why. If I hadn't we wouldn't be discussing sudo, now would
we. :)

> I'm currently running Debian Sarge so I don't use sudo.
>
> OK.  Let's work this through.  If I sudo <command> (and am authorised
> to so that command) my privileges are upped to root (or whatever is
> given to me in the sudoers file).  Does that only work for that one
> command?

Yes. Once the command or session is finished your admin privileges are
"revoked". If you want to be like superuser again you need to reissue
the sudo command.

> Do I have to use sudo for every command and put my password
> in each time?

Yes and no. Sudo "remembers" your password for a time, so if you're
issuing several commands in succession you need only enter it once.

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.