Need Help To Download and Install Ruby on Rails in Ubuntu

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 9 05:40:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 10:22 +0530, priya sundaramorthy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am newbie to ubuntu and ruby and rails.. i need proper steps to
> download and install ruby and rails on ubuntu..
> pls help me.
ruby and rails are in the community-maintained (universe) repository.
For edgy, via the menus, select System->Administration->Software Sources
Choose the first tab (Ubuntu 6.10), then select the top checkbox, which
corresponds to the universe repository.

Click close, then click Reload in the dialog box that comes up (titled
"The information about available software is out-of-date").

You should then be able to install ruby and rails from the official
repositories, by running synaptic package manager. (If you locate rails
in synaptic, and select it, it will pull in ruby and all the other
required packages).

This is safer than trying to install from source, as you will:
* get all the packages you need
* be able to remove it easily if required
* receive any security updates that are released
* automatically update to the supported version for new Ubuntu releases

> Thanx,
> priya

Tim