Final missing pieces

Brandon Blackwell ubuntunews at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 21:13:58 UTC 2007

John Dangler wrote:
> I've been running Ubuntu 5.10 and now 6.06 LTS on my
desktop, laptop,
> and server.  I decided to switch off of M$ for a
variety of reasons, and
> have been thoroughly happy to date (about 98%).  I
do still keep a M$
> box in the house, though, since there are some
annoying (albeit minor)
> reasons...
>
> What remains for me at this point to be in a
position to say that I
> would _never_ have a reason to see a windoze box
again are the
> following:
>
> (1) Printer.  I would prefer an all-in-one, but a
printer.  I don't mind
> configuring and loading drivers, but something that
works consistently.

I have an Hp all in one. I can't think of the number
and I'm about a
hundred miles from it at the moment but I did not have
to configure
anything with it. Just plugged it in and all of it
worked.

> (2) My Logitech web cam (Pro3000).  Ubuntu
recognizes it as a usb
> device, but that's about it.
>
> (3) Sound.  For some reason, I get different
symptoms on different
> systems.  The laptop works sometimes with flash,
others not.  The
> desktop doesn't work at all with flash.  There are
times using skype on
> the laptop that the sound just quits, necessitating
a restart of Gnome.
> Sound on the desktop in skype is non-existent.
>
> (4) My laptop has ipw2100 wireless.  I travelled to
5 different cities
> over the last 6 months, and, after a bit of
configuring with eth1, it
> worked fine in most of those locations, including
airports.  However, at
> home - it always recognizes the network but never
signs on.

> If anyone can help dissect these issues, I'd really
appreciate it.  I've
> learned so much about Ubuntu from this list, and
have tried to share
> that information with others on the list, but these
few remaining items