(Off-topic) Software Information: "AutoCad for linux"

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 8 11:52:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 07:08:05 +0100
Duncan Lithgow <dlithgow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 00:21 +0100, nodata wrote:
> > Interesting. In what way? With Tools installed, and 3D acceleration on,
> > VMware should be streets ahead.
> Well, I'm talking about the freeware version of VMware, if that makes
> any difference. VMware needs a fair bit of help in my experience getting
> it to share files with the host system. Win4lin has the host file system
> integrated - that was all I meant.

Well, I recently played with Debian Etch in vmplayer, and used ssh/scp to
share files between host and vm. Worked quite well - I was able to use
"connect to server" with ssh/sftp and Nautilus. I imagine in KDE one could
use "fish" in Konqueror - similar functionality.

I couldn't get nfs to co-operate though, and I don't use Samba since I
only have Linux boxen, unless you count the OS-X partition on my laptop,
which gets used about once every few months, since I prefer to run Ubuntu
on my iBook :)

Q: Why on earth would you prefer Linux to OS-X ?
A: OS-X is an insult to BSD and Unix, and mangles it beyond redemption

Flames to the usual address ;-)

Peter