error messages installing .deb file

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Jan 7 19:04:51 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 13:46, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> Does anyone know a way of copying text in Terminal to the clipboard so I
> can paste it into a document in Openoffice Writer or whatever thing for
> reading text?

I only have Kubuntu, not Ubuntu, so this may not work for you, but in Konsole
(which provide the command line terminal in Kubuntu) you can open the edit
menu and there is an option to "Save history as...".  That option will allow
you to save the entire history to a text file that you can open with whatever
text editor you choose.  As I said, it's likely different if you are in
Ubuntu and not Kubuntu.

> I ask because with me being Totally Blind reviewing the error messages
> when I type the terminal command to install the package when trying to
> install Network Manager seems a bit long winded, it is not as simple as
> doing CTRLA and going into something like Nano or VI or even going back
> to the Gnome Desktop and pasting it into Writer and someone seemed a bit
> impatient with me as a new user because I couldn't say what the error
> messages were when trying to install this .deb package I got using
> Firefox in Windows.

It is often frustrating when trying to give help to not have sufficient
information.  Understand it's frustrating on your end too, but remember that
no one here is paid to help you.  We are all here as volunteers.

> I started to write it out but I kept getting lost trying to review it.
> It was some kind of dependency error where files I think like libnl1.
> libnm-util or something like that and there was another package name
> wcouldn't be installed and it seemed to be questioning the need for
> these 3 files.

BTW, even this much information helps.  What you are likely seeing is in fact
dependency issues.  The dkpg tool for installing individual .deb files does
not automatically get dependencies for you.  Take a look at the packages it
is complaining about, get the .debs for those and install them first.  You
can use the sudo apt-get download approach from your desktop if you don't
find them via the web.

Also, this may seem painful, but it would be infinitely worse if you were
trying to build from source.

> I am still a bit of a Newby to Ubuntu and have only managed to install
> one package so far when I was at my LUG which was the S-Backup
> application which unfortunately didn't work with speech or it didn't
> with the early version of Orca I had.

You are making progress.  Hang in there.

> The chap trying to help me install Ubuntu on my Desktop took away my
> Edgy disk that I managed to burn to see if it was causing the problems I
> was having with installing it ie the Grub not being installed on the
> hard drive so I haven't got my Edgy Desktop CD and don't have any CDs to
> burn a new copy on as most of the disks I have are DVDs.

In that case you should be able to use your desktop machine and apt-get
download to get what you need and move it to your laptop.

Scott K