USB not working in Dapper or Edgy

Sundar Nagarajan sundar.personal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 10:56:39 UTC 2007

mike williams wrote:
> Im using Edgy now,although I had the same problem in Dapper with USB not
> working(not a single device,printer,mouse,HD,etc...), but in Windows I
> don't have a problem with that,all of those things work fine.I also
> included the DMESG outout incase anyone needs it

Do you have the usbhid module loaded? (lsmod | grep usbhid). This was
the problem once on one of my boxes. I have added usbhid to /etc/modules
which contains the list of modules to be loaded at boot time.

I believe ubuntu should auto-detect the USB mouse and load usbhid, but
in my case, I believe I didn't have the mouse pluged in while booting,
and subsequently plugging the mouse in didn't work.