Possible to remove peter at gizmoman.net from users list Was: The "peter at gizmoman.net" dilemma

David Hart ubuntu at tonix.org
Thu Jan 4 14:06:45 UTC 2007

On Thu 2007-01-04 14:20:24 +0100, Carsten Aulbert wrote:
> David Hart wrote:
>
> > Take a look at the (forged) headers of the messages and you'll see that
> > they don't go through Ubunutu servers so there's nothing (directly) that
> > the list admins can do about it.
>
> In principle you're right, but I meant to ask that one of the owners
> should have a look through the list of people receiving ubuntu-users and
> try to find the email address which is related to these emails.
>
> The notification itself is not going through the ubuntu servers since
> it's directly addressed to the senders (otherwise mailman would have
> detected the mail loop quite easily). If no-one on the subscriber list
> uses this peter@ address then there is nothing they can do about it, if
> there is one, I would like them to remove it from the list.

I know that spammers are dumb, bottom-feeding, lowlife *!$%@^ers but it
didn't really occur to me that they'd be so dumb as to subscribe to the
list with the same address that they're "bouncing" messages from.  But,
of course, you could be right.

> (right now, I have not gotten and notification for my last two posts,
> maybe the "offending" address has already been purged).

The two that I received took about 8 hours to come through so, I
suppose, there's plenty of time yet :-/

--
David Hart <ubuntu at tonix.org>