Root in Desktop

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 3 21:21:07 UTC 2007

mehul wrote:

> On 1/4/07, Samuel Thurston, III wrote:
> >
> > some tarballs contain config scripts that prompt you for a root
> > password, I've run across this maybe twice ever, and I'm afraid I
> > didn't make a note of which programs i was trying to install at the
> > time.
> >
> Doesn't that scrpit work fine with sudo without prompting for root
> password?

I've run into a couple situation where sudo failed too, but just like
Samuel I never made a note of them and my memory isn't that good. :/
Being a recent convert these were all Fedoraland problems too.

I don't believe they were anything "OS specific" though. Had to do with
third party apps and environment setup stuff. If you have a printenv
command compare 'sudo printenv' with printenv run after a su to root. A
considerable amount of the sudo user's info is retained in favor of
root's. Something like $HOME or $PWD might have obvious effects, and
there's more subtle things to consider like SSH_AGENT sockets and GTK
resource information. There might be other differences between sudo and
an actual root login too, which have noting to do with "environment".

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.