2wire router usb

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed Feb 28 23:18:41 UTC 2007

On 02/28/2007 04:29 AM, Leonel wrote:
>> On 02/27/2007 04:45 PM, Leonel wrote:
>>

>>> I'm I Blind or there's no info on how to set up a USB connection to the
>>> 2Wire with Ubuntu edgy ?
>>>

>>> leonel
>>>

>> I'm not sure that I understand.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be helpful if you provided:
>>
>> 1. The exact 2wire model number
>
> I don't know  I don't have it here with me
>
>> 2. What you see in System|Administration|Networking (does it appear)
> No
>
>> 3. What happens when you try to log in via  http://gateway.2wire.net or
>> the actual IP for the device?
> I CAN'T
>> 4. What do you get when you check ifconfig from the terminal?
> Just the  lo  device

What do you get when you enter this from a terminal:

lsusb

That should return info on the device if it actually sees it, such as I
get for this on my USB ethernet adaper:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID ob95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp.

If lsusb returns no device information then Edgy isn't seeing the device
at all.

> Let me put it this way
>
> How do I assign an  IP Address to a  my USB port so I can connect to ANY
> other device
>

> modprobe  <module>
> ifconfig  <device>  1.2.3.4 netmask 255.0.0.0
>

> where  <module>  and <device>   I don't know  what to use for a USB port
> not for a USB ( wireless/ ethernet) device
>

> My friend has the usb connected to the 2wire  and works in windows
> I installed Edgy  and  can't connect  to the 2wire using the USB cable
>

> Thanks
>
> Leonel

Without the 2wire model number I'm not sure that I can help much further.

FWIW: On one of my systems I use a USB ethernet adapter: Airlink 101
(see: http://www.airlink101.com/products/asohousb.html) and it popped
right in without having to add any special drivers. I simply added the
IP address, net mask, and gateway (192.168.0.1 for my router) and off it
went. That adapter however goes from the USB to an ethernet port on my
router.

Given your posting IP, I'm assuming that you might be trying to use
something like a 2wire Homeportal 1800HW on Unimex. If that is the case
you might find these links helpful (or not):

http://www3.dslreports.com/faq/twowire/all
http://www3.dslreports.com/faq/twowire/all#10957
http://www.kosaraju.com/linux.html

Last question: When you boot with the Live CD does it work? Can you
browse the network etc via the live CD?