Strange Feisty "live" behavior?

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 26 20:05:35 UTC 2007

Anyone aware of whether or not the Feisty 7.04 Desktop install CD in
"live" mode would be changing file permissions on a hard drive, and why?

Short a story as possible... I picked up another "beater box" and
thought I'd play with Feisty. Burned a copy of the very latest on my
laptop (Edgy), and since the disk was in the drive I figured I'd give
it a run to see how well it picked up "current" hardware, wireless, etc.

Worked a treat. Sorted out my WPA2 WAP, asked for a password, and away
I went. Video/sound were cool. The "automatically find and install
codecs" feature seems to be working well too, at least from what I can
gather by loading a .wmv in Firefox and getting thrust into the update
process which identified, loaded, and installed the right gstreamer
plugins (sort of by the brute force method).

I don't like the Control Panel. It's cheesy and Windows-ish. )

Anywho, I played around for half an hour or so, never mounted a
local partition (or checked to see if any were), rebooted, fired up
Claws-Mail and immediately got a "Some Plugins Did Not Load" dialog. CM
core dumped when I cleared it. It didn't take long to trace the problem
to ClamAV, and a daily.inc directory that has somehow had permissions
changed to 700. Being owned by user clamav that naturally raised some
"issues" when user jeff or his software tried to access it. ;)

I've also been playing around with keeping certain select KDE
components from loading even though I run several KDE
apps. I had set /usr/bin/kdeinit to be non-executable for instance,
trying to block knotify (loaded every time konsole generates a "system
bell"). That was also... "fixed".

Yes, I realize Feisty Desktop isn't *strictly* a Live CD, but I had
assumed it would leave well enough alone in "demo mode". Is that
ASSumption broken, and for what good reason?

Or am I really tripping and none of this happened the way I think it did
because Feisty "just won't go there" without explicit instructions to
do so??

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.