new to ubuntu - problems with Dell precision m65 laptop

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 18:42:30 UTC 2007

On 2/26/07, Dan Meiron <dim at caltech.edu> wrote:
> 2. How do I enable a detailed summary of boot messages and init
> messages? On other Linus systems this seems to be shown to you but not
> by default on Ubuntu.

Assuming you have grub as the boot loader, when the boot screen is
showing, you can use the grub console to unhide the messages.  Hit "e"
(for edit) when the Ubuntu line is hilited.  On the next screen,
hilite the "kernel" line, hit "e" again to edit it.  Use the right
arrow to go to the end of the line, and then use the backspace to
delete the word "quiet".  Hit return, then hit "b" (to boot it).  Now
you'll get the messages.  Of course, you can permanently delete
"quiet" from /boot/grub/menu.lst if desired.

HTH