new to ubuntu - problems with Dell precision m65 laptop

Dan Meiron dim at caltech.edu
Mon Feb 26 18:27:10 UTC 2007

I'm new to ubuntu and would like to learn more about it. I've used Suse
and mandrake.

I have 2 questions:

1. I installed edgy and it seemed to go fine but upon starting the
system the progress bar simply stops - sometimes another screen comes up
showing it finished fsck but that is all. Strangely - when I type
ctrl-alt-delete I get messages about rc5 and rc 6 and then the system
comes up and seems OK (including the wireless). I have seen messages
that this laptop has some issues particularly with its wireless card -
an Intel Pro wireless 3945abg card but I don't know if this is the issue
I am having. So this brings me to my next question:

2. How do I enable a detailed summary of boot messages and init
messages? On other Linus systems this seems to be shown to you but not
by default on Ubuntu.

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated

thanks, Dan Meiron