Cropping photos (Astronomy, Graphics & Video Software [WAS: VMWare / Wine))

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Sun Feb 25 22:23:17 UTC 2007

On 02/24/2007 10:56 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

>>> I must agree -- cropping images just doesn't seem to exist in FLOSS.
>>>
>> uh... Did you try gThumb image viewer as I suggested? It crops quite
>> nicely. I'm not sure what you're agreeing with.
>>

> Sorry, the context was not properly articulated. ... should have
> been... in the apps where it was needed (OO.org and Abiword) it wasn't
> an option to crop effectively (or at all) and that's where the
> functionality was needed. Jumping to another app was an onerous step
> when (ugh) Word could do it cleanly and with no fuss whatsoever.
> Anyway, I suspect (hope) that somone's working on a functional crop
> for OO.org.

While I have no direct knowledge of it, I recall being told that ughWord
does not actually crop an image, What it is actually doing is applying a
mask for what you want to see.  Even though the data is forever hidden
from the user (except through "undo") it stays in the document, adding
to it's size.  This was given to me as an explanation of why Word will
occasionally choke on files w/ many pictures.  For me, I don't find it
onerous to open another application, it is no different than opening the
Word file selector.  Edit your image to suit, copy the image or a part,
and paste into Open Office . . .  no more steps really, and you don't
have to fiddle with Word's kludgy and non intuitive menus.