Cropping photos (Astronomy, Graphics & Video Software [WAS: VMWare / Wine))

Duncan Lithgow dlithgow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 20:58:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 14:23 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 02/24/2007 10:56 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> >> uh... Did you try gThumb image viewer as I suggested? It crops quite
> >> nicely. I'm not sure what you're agreeing with.
> >>

> > Sorry, the context was not properly articulated. ... should have
> > been... in the apps where it was needed (OO.org and Abiword) it wasn't
> > an option to crop effectively (or at all) and that's where the
> > functionality was needed. Jumping to another app was an onerous step
> > when (ugh) Word could do it cleanly and with no fuss whatsoever.
> > Anyway, I suspect (hope) that somone's working on a functional crop
> > for OO.org.
> >
> While I have no direct knowledge of it, I recall being told that ughWord
> does not actually crop an image, What it is actually doing is applying a
> mask for what you want to see.  Even though the data is forever hidden
> from the user (except through "undo") it stays in the document, adding
> to it's size.
That is also my understanding - otherwise Word and OOo would need to be
able to resave any picture they can import - that's not an easy task -
and it's not a job for a word processor.

OpenOffice does in fact have what Eric was looking for, but they're more
honest about it than word. Simply right click on an image and choose
'Picture...' form the context menu. Then there is a tab called 'Crop'
there you can change the part of the image which is visible in the
document - exactly what word does except visually explained.

So, Eric, as with any software you are unfamiliar with, ask how to do
something. Assuming that you would fall over it is asking a lot of your
intuition and the software interface. I have to also mention that typing
'crop' into the OpenOffice help window gives a very clear explanation of
how to crop an image.

Duncan