upgrading to feisty

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 25 10:24:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:28:13 +1100
"Lachlan Musicman" <lachlan.simpson at wilderness.org.au> wrote:

> I just did sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list, then :%s/edgy/feisty/g,
> sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> plenty of stuff broke, similar issues with the ATI card (no X, dumped
> to command line), missing themes etc.

"Go back, you are going the wrong way"   ;-)

First error:  it's " sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade "
for a distro upgrade from one version to another ( Edgy --> Feisty )

Second error: This method is now deprecated. At the least you should have
used aptitude:  " sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade &&
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade "

Third error: You should have read
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FeistyUpgrades  ;-)

Which among other useful information, suggests re-running the dist-upgrade
a second time, running  sudo apt-get -f install  etc etc....

It also suggests running

gksu mkdir /root/.gnupg

and

gksu "update-manager -d"

So, sounds like you gave yourself minimal chances of success ;-)

Peter