dpkg -l postfix

Ulf Rompe Ulf.Rompe at icem.com
Fri Feb 23 16:35:04 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, den 23.02.2007, 18:58 +0530 schrieb Kaushal Shriyan:
> ~$ dpkg -l postfix
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  postfix        2.2.10-1ubuntu A high-performance mail transport agent
> ~$
>
> Would appreciate if you can make me understand what the above output
> says

Every field of this tabular output has a caption. I think you understand
the meaning of "Name", "Version" and "Description", so let's have a look
at the three one-lettered fields at the beginning:

The first field is set to "i", so according to the caption, the desired
action that dpkg sees for this package is "Install". You didn't ask for
an action and there are no conflicts, so this is just a result of the
second field.

The second field is set to "i", which means the current status is
"Installed". This is what you wanted to know.

The third field is empty, which means there is no error.

Try to recognise the table header as an illustration with lines pointing
to the first three fields. That way you will be able to interpret the
abbreviated status fields. Normally they are the lower case initials of
the possible values described above. If they are upper case, something
is badly broken, which is suggested in parentheses.

[x] ulf

--
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings,
they did it by killing all those who opposed them.