Upgrade from Dapper to Edgy

Rick Greep RickGreep at cti-consulting.com
Sat Feb 17 17:16:21 UTC 2007

All,

	I know this is old news but I wanted to share my experience with my upgrade
from Dapper (6.06) to Edgy (6.10).

	My platform is a PowerBook G4, 166Mhz PPC processor with an Airport BCM4306
wireless card.

	According to the official upgrade
document, "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades", it is suggested
you should should use the Update-Manager to perform the update. Others have
been saying to not use this method and to go with the alternate apt-get
approach. Since my system did not seem to have update-manager and I am more
comfortable with apt-get, the decision was easy. I wrote a very quick script
containing the suggested apt-get commands in the upgrade guide, added default
yes (--yes) to the apt-get commands and fired it up.

	My first challenge came when my wireless connection died about 1/4 through
the file transfer. I shouldn't have trusted the airport to make it through
the entire upgrade, but it works so well in day to day activity I didn't
suspect there would be a problem. The fix was to walk my laptop downstairs
and plug into an RJ-45 port, then restart the upgrade. The "wired" connection
was must faster and I should have gone that way in the first place.

	During the install process dpkg would offer me choices when it found a config
file which was different then the newly distributed one. I was not familiar
with this process and found it very helpful. By selecting a (D)iff I could
see the differences between the files and make the decision with more than my
fleeting memory to guide me. Either way you decide, the unused version of the
file is saved so you can change your mind later.

	My next challenge came after the install was complete and I rebooted the
system. I use encrypted home/swap & tmp directories. Setting this up in
Dapper was easy with the cryptsetup and the /etc/crypttab files. In Dapper
during the boot process you get a command level prompt asking for the
password to the encrypted volumes. In Edgy, the GUI boot process does not
switch back to the command prompt and so the encrypted drives are not
mounted. This causes all kinds of havoc when the system cannot find the swap
drive.

	I found the solution to this problem after reading the comments for bug
#62751, "https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/62751". If you have encrypted
volumes, this will be an issue and you should spend a bit of time reading the
notes before attempting to upgrade. I applied one of the patches against the
cryptdisks.functions script and was able to continue. I will continue to
evaluate this issue. Be sure to copy the cryptdisks.functions to something
like cryptdisks.functions.orig before applying the patch.

	The last issue I had was more of an inconvenience than an issue. X was up and
working but the colors were pretty weird, usable, but weird. After referring
back to the upgrade guide "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades", I
reconfigured the Xorgserver with "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". I had
switched to VT1 to perform the reconfigure and was expecting to restart X,
but when I switched back the colors were back to normal.

	Anyway that is my list of surprises & dumb mistakes. I hope it is of some
help to the future upgraders. Aside from the CryptSetup issue, this has been
one of the easiest upgrades I have ever had. If possible take backups and
have an extra computer available for looking up errors, bugs and most
importantly FIXES.

--
Rick Greep, Core Technologies, Inc.
RickGreep at cti-consulting.com