XVID and Edgy...still

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 04:03:23 UTC 2007

As I've posted twice or thrice before, I've got a video problem under
Edgy.  Files -- MPEG4-encoded -- that worked fine under Dapper (after
installing every codec available to mankind) have stopped working under
Edgy (after installing every codec available to mankind).  First the
problem was that none of the video apps (VLC wasn't tested at this time)
worked, with Totem(Gstreamer) and Xine both complaining about the files
being encoded in DivX5 format which they didn't know how to manage.
After doing a lot of digging I found a DivX6 codec, installed it and
tried again.  Now Totem(Gstreamer) and Xine both complain that the same
files are in XviD format -- which they both purport don't know how to
manage.  Mplayer, too fails with far more cryptic error reports that
boil down to "can't figure out the codec".

Now here's the problem: Xvid support *IS* installed:

$ aptitude search xvid
p   avifile-xvid-plugin             - XviD video encoding plugin for
libavifile
p   gstreamer0.8-xvid               - XVID encoder plugin for
GStreamer
v   libxvidcore
-
v   libxvidcore-dev
-
i   libxvidcore4                    - High quality ISO MPEG4 codec
library
p   libxvidcore4-dev                - High quality ISO MPEG4 codec
library -- de
id  xvid4conf                       - creates XviD configuration
files
i   xvidtune                        - X client -
xvidtune

$ aptitude show libxvidcore4
Package: libxvidcore4
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2:1.1.0-final-0.1ubuntu1
 XviD is a high quality/performance ISO MPEG4 codec.

Now I'm not completely stuck.  VLC plays these files like a pro.
Unfortunately I'm just really not happy with VLC's controls nor look.
So I'd like to get these MPEG-4 AVIs working for Totem and/or Xine.

What's the next step?