Modem Problem

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 13 01:28:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:13:39 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Staar <michael_staar at earthlink.net> wrote:

> If I purchased an external modem, would I have to worry about a different driver every time I change distros?

External serial modems "just work" - they don't rely on software like
WInmodems, and no modem drivers are required  COM 1 is ttyS0 , COM 2 is
ttyS1 and so on .

There are several ways to configure the connection. I am no longer on
dial-up, but I always had the best results using the "pppconfig" utility.
To configure the connection you type

sudo pppconfig

To connect and disconnect, use the "pon" and "poff" commands respectively.

You can, of course, make a launcher buttton or icon for the commands. An
easier ( GUI) way is the KDE "kppp" tool. For some reason the Gnome tools
seem to produce slow connections, unless this has been fixed in Ubuntu
6.10 .

Peter