Internet connection problem with 6.10 and ADSL modem/router

Bill Fleming mail at fleming41.me.uk
Fri Feb 9 20:19:09 UTC 2007

Many thanks for your help, Matthew.  I'm afraid I didn't explain my problem very well in the original message.  I am running Firefox only on Ubuntu on my desktop machine where it is dual booted with Windows XP.  I haven't tried Firefox on Windows nor have I tried Epiphany on the Ubuntu machine and I'm not sure how to. Am I likely to find Epiphany on the Ubuntu 6.10 disc? I'm sending this message from my laptop which is Windows XP only, but is connected to the desktop machine by Ethernet and the ADSL  modem/router.  I haven't yet tried the ping test you suggested as the desktop machine is in use at the moment by someone else. My problems seem to be escalating.  I did manage to get my printer running from the desktop machine by ticking the LAN boxes in the printer setup sequence, but now the printer does not seem to work from the laptop.  I seem to have done something else to the Ubunto setup becaue Ubuntu has now started to run very slowly.  That is, it takes 30 seconds to open Firefox or Evolution or one of the installed games!  A restart does not improve the speed. Any idea why it might be doing this and how I could sort it out? I haven't tried to install any other software or updates. The only Ubuntu files on the machine are those installed from the setup disc. If all else fails, I suppose I should reinstall Ubuntu and start again.
Bill Fleming