Internet connection problem with 6.10 and ADSL modem/router

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Feb 9 18:35:26 UTC 2007

Bill Fleming wrote:
> I'm using a D-Link ADSL modem/router which works well with Windows XP, Internet Explorer and Outlook But when running Firefox the
> waiting circle spins for a couple of minutes then gives me an error message to say the connection has timed out and the requested website did
> not respond in time.

Does Firefox work on Windows?  Did you try using the Epiphany browser on
Ubuntu?

> This happens with www.ubuntu.com as well as every other URL I have tried, except one.  I have followed the setup
> instructions in Ubuntu and rechecked the modem/router settings from
Ubuntu.  I've tested the connection with Ping from within Firefox

You can't test ping from within Firefox.  You want to go to a console
(see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BasicCommands) and type:

ping google.com

then press enter.  You should see something like:

64 bytes from eh-in-f99.google.com (72.14.207.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=241
time=32.5 ms

repeated if your connection is working.  Wait for a few seconds, then press:

Control-c.

Reply with a copy of this output.

> This laptop is connected to the modem/router with Ubuntu 6.10 installed on the other machine.

What other machine?  Please explain your network better.

Matthew Flaschen