weird update problems

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Fri Feb 9 00:24:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 19:15 -0500, Ed Smits wrote:
> Can someone explain to me this weird obsession with updating as soon
> as it's offered, and when it doesn't work you actually try to clean up
> your kernels? You have systems that are working well I assume, just
> leave well enough alone until things get sorted out. I have production
> Sun servers at work that haven't been patched in 2 years - if it's
> working well why risk screwing things up? Unless there is a specific
> problem and a patch to fix it we leave well enough alone.
>
> ED
If you're running Solaris, I would believe it.  But not SunOS...
When they said patch, you patched - or else...

But I do agree on the Linux front.  But I do think it's part of 2 things
- 1) Hold over from Win... 2) Being dutiful end users, when they're told
to patch the OS, they believe (in faith) that the dev/maintainers won't
run them down a blind alley.
I'll try and keep up with any updates, so long as I can read the changes
that have taken place, and they make sense.  I've found (more times than
I'd care to count) updates on the repo's with absolutely no description
of change at all, just a repeat of the description of what the package
is...  That always makes me suspicious to begin with.