local deb mirror

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 7 12:59:30 UTC 2007

Serg B. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can anybody suggest any pros and cons of having a local (private) deb
> mirror for a small home (~6 machines) network?
>

> Thanks

  Why not have the benefits of a local mirror without the disadvantage
of storing 200GB of data?
Use apt-proxy or apt-cacher, perfectly suited for this situation. Only
the files that are needed by a machine are downloaded, and then they are
stored. Then all the files only get downloaded once. I found that after
a year my apt-cacher cache had only grown to less than 2gb. Perfect!