Running Ubuntu under Windows/running a Windows app under Ubuntu

Denis Witt witt at cat06.de
Fri Feb 2 09:06:53 UTC 2007

Eric Dunbar schrieb:

> I. Has anyone run the free (?) Virtual PC 2004 app under Windows with
> Ubuntu? (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx)

Yes, i tried to run Ubuntu 6.06 LTS with Virtual PC 2004, but it's
rather slow, the installation tooks some hours (on a P4 2,4 GHZ 1GB
RAM). After the installation the performance is getting better but it's
still slow when you compare it to a Windows XP running on the same
machine using VMware with Ubuntu.

> 2. Can I run Windows under Linux or a Windows app under Linux?

Yes, take a look at wine (Wine is not an emulator), some Applications
running very fine using Wine, some other will not work or not as
expected. Photoshop 7 for example works fine but the Panels are always
on top on every desktop which could be quite annoying. But the
performance is very good.

> 3. [Slight aside] I Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server edition the best choice for
> a server Linux? I come from YellowDog Linux which is a Fedora
> Core-based distro... is a Debian-based server much different in
> operation? (I presume not but it's better to be safe than sorry and
> ask the question).

I'm using Ubuntu Dapper LTS for a Samba PDC / Fileserver and it does
this job very good since about one year.

If you could use some older package versions you could also use Debian
(which Ubuntu is based on). The current Debian version (sarge) is rather
old, but the next release (etch) should be final soon and the package
versions are really close to Dapper LTS.

I'm running etch on two other servers (Web and Mail) and some Web-based
applications (e.g. SugarCRM and ILIAS) were easier to set up than on LTS.

For a desktop like system i would always prefer Ubuntu. But if you can
dismiss X and gnome/KDE and want to set up an long time run system i
would choose Debian.

HTH,
Bye!