Driver Installion problem for NetGear wireless card

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Dec 31 20:39:17 UTC 2007

Larry Shields wrote:

> Ok let me say this, I have the modem setup, and I am trying to get my
> Netgear WG111v2 USB card to connect to it...I have tried using
> ndiswrapper, I can see that I do infact have wlan0, and can scan using
> iwlist etc...Now I have noticed that in it's configuration it does not
> show a gateway ip address just a (*), so might this be needed...???

You won't get a gateway ip address until after you associate to the access
point - it shouldn't have an IP address for the interface either.  Those
should be set by DHCP - probably from the modem.  Now, if the modem isn't a
complete router, you may need to configure that manually and it gets much
more complex.

> When I hook up a hard drive with winXP on it, I have configure it to
> work, only because they gave me a CD that had an install program on
> it...So it does work, that I know, but for the life of me, I can not get
> it to work using Ubuntu 7.10...
>
> Maybe I do not have the password in the correct place, that the
> Charter.com cable fellow gave me when he installed the cable to the TV &
> Modem...???
>
> Or might it be the name used in the ( essid ), would that make a
> difference...???

That's what we were saying - the modem appears to be configured with ESSID
2wire363, therefore you MUST use that value in your configuration.

> The support link shown in the above shows how to setup a MODEM not the
> USB card...

Yes, because if you want to use "gibson" for your essid, you're going to
need to modify the modem setup.
--
derek