Large number of users, but want to keep secret

debian debiani386 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 21:40:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 02:52 -0500, John Toliver wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2007 12:04 AM, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi at hackers.org.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have fairly large number of students (> 50) in a class. I would like to
> > give them an account on a machine (Ubuntu 7.10, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5 GB
> > Memory). But, I want that the students cannot read each other's files in
> > order to prevent from copying someone else's programming assignment by
> > reading it.
Something you could try is:
1) create the user
2) open nautilus as root and dirtestect it to the /home folder
3) right click on the users folder, then click properties, click the
Permissions tab, go down to "others", set the folder access to "None"
and the file access to "none"

Doing this will only allow that person (or persons with in the group) to
view that folder. They shouldnt be able to copy the contents of the
folder (unless they either boot into recovery mode or obtain the root
password)

hth

--cj