Ubuntu 7.10 on a Laptop slow startup

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Thu Dec 27 21:32:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:54:56 -0900, W.D.McKinney wrote:

>> Robert,
>>
>>   I would love to try that.  How do I turn off the splash screen?
>>
>>   Keith
>
> If you want to turn off the splash screen then as an ordinary user, log
> in, start GNOME, and go to System -> Personal Settings -> System ->
> Sessions and deselect the option "Show splash screen on login".

No, I mean the other one.

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, and remove "splash" from a line similar to this
one, in the uppermost 'block' of boot options, just below the "End Default
Options" line:

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-29-k7 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash

So you should change it to this:

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-29-k7 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet

Save the file, and reboot.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com