Ubuntu 7.10 on a Laptop slow startup

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Dec 27 21:53:11 UTC 2007

W.D.McKinney wrote:
>   I would love to try that.  How do I turn off the splash screen?

First try if it really works for you: In the grub menu at boot time, press
the "e" key. Then you have a menu where you find a line starting
with "kernel". Select that line and press "e" again. Now your cursor is
at the end of the line. Delete the words "quiet splash" at the end of the
line and add "vga=normal" (without quotes). Then press enter and "b". Now
the system should boot with lots of messages displayed.

If that works for you, you can make the change permanent. In a terminal
enter the command

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

to modify the configuration file for grub. Be careful because you are
editing the file as root. Replace the words "quiet splash" everywhere
with "vga=normal" and save the file.

Nils