[Follow-up] Re: [OT] Ubuntu + Make A Wish - Edubuntu

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 22 15:40:59 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2007 09:15 PM, NoOp wrote:
>

>> All that said; be aware that you may have to do a sales job to donate
>> your old system & tech support. I called several local centers and
>> offered the above and was told by 2 that "they only accept new or
>> semi-new systems" that are loaded with Windows XP or "better".

But, Ubuntu IS better!

When I was teaching in public schools I built a few machines from old parts,
they were like PII 400mhz or something (this was about 5 years ago, when
the 1ghz
was speedy).  I loaded them with the then RH based K12Linux and brought
them to school
and used them in my classroom (we only had one decrepit Mac with OS9 at
the time).
Then at the end of the school year had an essay contest to give them away.
Students used them to write papers, do research, and even play games (during
study hall if all of their work was done), etc. without a problem.
They had already been exposed to both windows and mac, so the idea of yet
another OS didn't phase them, and they had the flexibility and
wherewithal  to
find there way around.

/tony

--