[OT] Ubuntu + Make A Wish - Edubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 20 05:15:32 UTC 2007

This is a bit off-topic and probably should be on Sounder, but given
that the tech folks hang out here I'll post here instead of Sounder.
Reason being is that some/many of you probably have an old test
machine/PC/laptop hanging around that you can probably donate to a local
cause.

As some of you may know I've managed to build/rebuild several computers
that were tossed out by local schools & companies; schools & companies
that decided that a 1Ghz/256Mb/20Gb computer didn't meet their needs any
longer and tossed them into the recycle bin. I've managed to
reformat/rebuild many of these, install Ubuntu on them, and bring them
back to life. I'm typing on a 2.4Ghz/256Mb/40Gb that was in a recycle
bin and is a 2.4Ghz/1Gb/80Gb now.

Anyway, given the current holiday season & spurred on by a local news
article regarding a kids after-school center that is "wishing for new
computers", I've configured a 1Ghz/512Mb/20Gb machine with Ubuntu that
runs like a top. Added some Edubuntu, Gcompris, and other educational
bits on it.
  The objective is two-fold: 1) give the kids a machine that they can
actually use, and 2) promote Ubuntu. Kids (5-10) generally don't care
what the operating system is, and typically will adapt to anything
(Apple  proved that during their early education drive). In addition I
plan to throw in a year's worth of free technical support.

So, what does all of this supposed holiday season self-chest-thumping
have to do with this tech list?
  Well first of all I suspect that many of you out there probably have,
or know someone that has, an old computer/laptop (by Vista standards)
that will make it to the recycle bin/garbage by year's end. How about
doing the same; salvaging it and donating to a kid's center, battered
women's center, senior citizen's center, etc? Load it up with Ubuntu &
offer free tech support to go along with it.

Bear in mind that without the tech support, your donation will likely
become a door stop in a month or two.

All that said; be aware that you may have to do a sales job to donate
your old system & tech support. I called several local centers and
offered the above and was told by 2 that "they only accept new or
semi-new systems" that are loaded with Windows XP or "better". Amazing.
I'm glad to report that I've found a local kids center that not only
wants the system, they even have a few teen-agers that want to learn
linux and are willing to assist.

Happy Holidays all...

Gary