4G Memory Only Recognised 3.4G

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Tue Dec 18 06:12:58 UTC 2007

>> Recently, I have installed 4 x 1GB memory sticks with Ubuntu 7.10, but my
>> system only sees it as 3.4GB. Is this a typical phenomenon? Or, how can I
>> fix this problem?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Soo-Hyun

check your BIOS for a setting to enable PAE.  you may need to upgrade
the bios on your motherboard.  do you dual-boot?  if so does your other
OS see all the ram?

get into the grub menu, check if the memtest sees all 4gb.  does it?  if
so your BIOS is good to go and you have an OS problem.  if not report
back and we may be able to shed more light.

does your video card share RAM with your system?  sometimes they
automatically take more when the BIOS detects you've installed more RAM.
  check this in the BIOS.  btw what type of system are we talking about
here?  laptop?  desktop?

i asked the oracle about your question, it coughed up this link:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+question/13808

...among 283,000 others.  :)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=4gb+ram+ubuntu

-d