CD-RW changes all to root

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 18 01:59:34 UTC 2007

On 12/17/2007 01:37 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Been awhile since I burned files to a CD-RW, but today I tried Nautilus
>> CD Burner, GnomeBaker & K3b and while the files write to the CD just
>> fine, all permissions on the CD get changed to root. CD, folders,
>> files... everything to root. Any ideas on why this might be happening?
>>

> This is expected behaviour, (and can be customized of course)
>
> The logic is that, be default, a burned CD should be machine neutral,,
> ie, as a portable, removable device, you should be able to insert and
> use the CD in any computer.  Since the UID's only make sense for the
> computer on which the CD is burned, the default is to change them all to
> root.  This is, of course, customizable.

Thanks & I'm starting to understand a bit more. I think, after all the
kind answers is that the problem was actually "Operator Headspace" more
than anything else...

On this system, for some odd reason when I wanted to test the OOo demo
files on the CD, double-clicking the shell file did not bring up the
standard "Open/Display/Run?" prompt in Nautilus, and instead only brings
up the alternate program launch choices (Text Editor, etc). So, I went
looking on the CD and found all files as root and assumed that this was
the problem.
  I've since checked the CD in 2 other Ubuntu systems & double-clicking
on the shell file does bring up the "Open/Display/Run?" prompt and I can
then select run and actually open the OOo demo from the CD. Can't write
to it as if in a Windows multisession, but I can open and run the
program from the shell. Now I've got to figure out why I can't get
Nautilus to give me the run choices on this system... I've of course
x'ed out all the .gnome etc directories, tried as a different user (even
root), even reinstalled Nautilus, compared my user & group setting to
those of the systems that do work etc., and still can't figure it out.

Anyway, thanks to all that responded & if I do figure out the Nautilus
issue I'll post back regarding that fix/problem.