Sound Not Detected - New Install

Harold Bibik hwbj at twcny.rr.com
Mon Dec 17 23:33:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 00:53 -0500, Schiz0 wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 (Fresh install - not an upgrade). It's
> running on a Gateway MT3707 Laptop computer.
>
> I can't seem to get the sound working. I tried several of the sound
> settings (System -> Preferences -> Sound), including Alsa, OSS, and
> ESD. None of which worked.

I had a similar problem with a fresh install 7.10

I tried a lot suggestions but found that once I copied

.asoundrc
.asoundrc.asoundconf

from an older install that the sound work perfectly...I'm not sure if
just copying/creating an .asoundrc would help or not

I know ALSA isn't supposed to need them...but it is something that
worked for me

my .asoundrc reads

# ALSA library configuration file

# Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
# (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)
</home/XXXX/.asoundrc.asoundconf>

------lines excluded and XXXX being the name of your home directory

 --
 I tried setting my hotmail password to penis.
     Harold Bibik   hwbj at twcny.rr.com